The Harris County Hospital District Foundation manages a permanent endowment devoted to children’s health issues in Harris County. The endowment is a tri-party agreement between Harris County, the Harris Health System, and the HCHD Foundation.
The proceeds of this endowment support integrated health projects for children who are not eligible for other similar services and who are at the highest risk in our society. Meet Communities In Schools of Houston!
Primary Prevention Safety Education
The publication of ChildBuilders’ Stand Strong • Stay Safe, new Safety Education Curriculum for pre-kindergarten to first grade students received an overwhelmingly positive feedback from schools. Various schools requested that ChildBuilders’ develop a curriculum for second through fifth grade students to cover the entire elementary grades. This year, with the assistance of Harris County Hospital District Foundation – Children’s Health Fund Grant and other funders, ChildBuilders generated the first draft of Stand Strong • Stay Safe for second through fifth grade students. The curriculum contains five lessons, four comics, three posters, student’s workbook (safety journal), and a PowerPoint presentation for each lesson. Eleven counselors from Galena Park and Spring Independent School Districts were trained on March 8, 2017 to pilot-test the program. In April and May, 916 students participated in the pilot-test and both the students and the facilitators enjoyed the program. All facilitators confirmed the importance of this curriculum for their students and provided us their feedback about potential changes and revisions. Currently, they are working on revising the curriculum, creating one additional comic and one poster, and enhancing the PowerPoint presentations for each lesson. Most of the revision is dedicated to creating a clear delineation for the upper and lower elementary curriculum. The final draft should be ready in September 2017.
Harris Health School-based clinics
During this grant period, ChildBuilders provided a Safety Education program to 1,858 children and individuals and trained 1 individual participating in the Harris County Hospital District Foundation – Children’s Health Fund Grant. The Harris County grant assisted in serving 4 of the 5 campuses with campus-based clinics.
Participating Harris County School-based Clinics:
• Cloverleaf Elementary (Galena Park ISD)
• San Jacinto Elementary (Goose Creek CISD)
• Sheldon Elementary (Sheldon ISD)
• Sheldon Early Childhood Center (Sheldon ISD)
Training, Collaboration and Evaluation
- Between August 2016 and June 2017, we directly trained 85 Harris County residents in our personal safety programs. These teachers and school personnel presented the program to 39,507 students.
- We collaborated with 10 school districts, two Charter Schools, 5 faith-based schools, 20 Head Start Centers, 5 non-profit organizations. The school districts served were: Aldine, Cy-Fair, Galena Park, Goose Creek, Houston, Pasadena, Sheldon, Spring, Spring Branch, and Tomball.
- Our evaluation of our programs is ongoing. We collect post-training surveys from adults who are trained in our programs and we collect total impact numbers and other program information at the conclusion of the academic year.